1st Gear Transmissions is recognized by ATRA - Automatic Transmission Rebuilder Association - as being a leader of the repair, diagnosis, and service of automatic transmissions for the Hendersonvill region and Western North Carolina area. The technicians at our transmission shop are all highly trained, well seasoned and certified, ensuring you get the service you expect and deserve.
Transmission problems fall into two very similar categories:
• Your car won't drive smoothly or developing some idiosyncrasies
• Your car won’t move at all
These two problems are usually caused by the same faults in your transmission. The latter happens because the first was ignored, hoping the problem would work itself out. They generally don’t work themselves out, so you don’t want to ignore them, the cost for repair only goes up when you do ignore it. Most transmission problems can't be fixed by the average do-it-yourselfer. Also, a good amount professional mechanics will tell you they simply don’t diagnose or work on automatic transmissions, other than some minor maintenance.
The automatic transmission is very much a specialty. You could consider the difference in a medical parallel, general practitioner as to a neurologist. There is a tremendous amount of special schooling, specialized instruction manuals, specialized equipment and flat out experience required to repair, rebuild or even properly maintain the automatic transmission. There are some things your general mechanic just can't fix. Transmissions are at the top of that list.
The technicians at 1st Gear Transmissions are all transmission specialists. While some in our industry have grayed the specialty line and claim to fix everything. We decided a long time ago between doing everything and being great at nothing or strictly sticking with what we were born and bred to do. That’s fix transmissions and we are passionate about it.
With all the right tools and the latest diagnostic equipment to make sure your transmission is properly diagnosed, repaired and serviced correctly the first time at a fair and honest rate.
1. Is your fluid level correct? It's important to check your transmission fluid at least twice a year. Not only can a low fluid level cause your car to shift poorly, it can eventually lead to transmission damage, and a costly repair. If your car seems to be losing fluid on a regular basis, you have a leak!
2. Is your transmission leaking? Unless it's been changed to a non-dyed fluid, your car will have red transmission fluid. Have you seen red puddles in the driveway?
3. Does the “Check Engine Light” come on intermittently? Although it may say engine, check engine lights often come on for transmission problems.
4. Does the “OD or Overdrive Light Flash”? This is like the check engine light for the engine, but instead it’s for the transmission.
5. Does the vehicle act strange on cold starts in the morning or after the car has been sitting?
If you've answered YES to any of these questions, CONTACT US today!